Friday, October 1, 2010

BOOKS!


Finally getting around to posting pictures of the books I've made recently. I have photos of one more that was commissioned but I don't want to post it until I know she's gotten it--no spoilers! :)

Somebody asked me today how I got started with bookmaking-- I learned it in school as part of my printmaking courses. It also came into play while I was still a graphic design major but...I didn't like it nearly as much then. Hand-making books is WAY more awesome than just designing them (personally, hah. No bad vibes towards graphic designers--it's just not my thing). At any rate, I definitely love making books and as a recent art school graduate, bookbinding is one of the more acces
sible skills I learned in school as I don't exactly have the funds for a good digital SLR, photo enlarger, darkroom, or printing press at the moment--alas.

But I digress. Books are what I promised: so books you shall have!
This is a "perfect case binding", my favorite style of bookbinding. This particular one has blank pages for journaling and/or sketching:
This one is a lined journal bound using "coptic stitch". The sweet thing about this style is that they open flat and the stitch makes a nice pattern along the spine (the cover of this one is the first picture I posted, in case you were curious):

I guess my favorite thing about making books is that they're functional. I like the idea of something being nice looking but something someone can use as well.

So that's my shpeel. Next time: I'll post pictures of the calendar I made for Pam and whatever else I happen to be working on.


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome Leah! I would like to see these books in person. I'm glad you are doing a blog...this is going to be good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! I still don't get home that often, but pretty much every time i am you guys cross my mind. Slowly but surely I'm catching up with everybody, hah. So hopefully I'll get home sometime soon and we can hang out...and i'll bring my books ;) hah! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete