Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Photography Find!

So today...was kind of awesome.I went into town to return some books to the library and rent one of the Harry Potter movies and came back with a whole darkroom set up. I swung by Ram's Rack thrift store, remembering that Michael had said there was a photo enlarger there. And sure enough--there it was. $40. I checked it out and even though it's pretty old school-- everything looked really well taken care of so I got it. When I drove my car around the guy asked me if I had seen the box of darkroom stuff and I said no and checked it out. Everything needed to set up a good dark room was in it--safe light, extra film holders, contact printer for film proofs, measuring cylinders/cups for chemicals, film developing tanks, timer, a bunch of filters for camera lenses, loops, etc. Pretty sweet. So yeah! Now i have no excuse to set up a print space in the storage building. I took the first step today and converted the old playhouse/doghouse thing that the owners (i'm guessing) left into a little storage place for the bikes so we can have more space out in the building. Next steps are to just clean everything we don't need out of the shed, get all the dirt and dust out, get Michael's dad up here to take a look at things (already existing wiring/getting some insulation in there/see if we can rig up something for washing prints). I also want to set up an exposure unit for screen printing and printing station out there...maybe a baby printing press in the near future? who knows what else. Hopefully this all works out. But I figure if a darkroom landed in my lap--maybe some other good stuff will as well, right?

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! I found an enlarger at Ram's Rack too. Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha awesome. i can't believe people just give those things away.

    ReplyDelete